Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Here's James Turk telling the story of how he became Slick-

I was invited to a dance that required me to wear a suit so I dusted off the one good one I had. I was so glad I went and had a great time dancing the Soul Train line and waving my hands up in the air like I just don't care...was having so much fun I forgot about the time and it was 11:45p and the station was about 20 minutes away. I hopped in my car and made a mad dash for the station...didn't have time to change clothes or find a phone booth to call the on air DJ and tell him I was running late...finally made it to the studio wearing my suit as the DJ opened his mic and he said "Mr. Slick himself James Maurice"...I was about to go on the air and I answered the phone and the caller said "is this Slick?"....and the rest is Knoxville Radio History 101.