Sunday, April 03, 2022

Dr. Al stories? Oh yeah! Al had made his second departure from WKGN by the time I met him. The first one was to WIL in St Louis when the remarkable Dave Diamond hired him to do nights. The second was to program WKDA in Nashville. When I met him, Al was on his way from Nashville to Cincinnati and WKRC and I was on WKGN. We never worked together there, but I caught up with him about a year later at WKRC, where I became assistant PD and music director.


One of my Dr. Al stories comes from just after that:

I had been hired to rework WEBR in Buffalo from a tired old standards station into an adult contemporary format. Having worked with Al at WKRC in Cincinnati and admiring his talent, I hired him to do nights on WEBR. Weren't quite ready to squeeze the trigger on the new format yet, so I had told him to stay put for a couple of weeks before turning in his resignation. He was set to do that in about three days when I got this call from the new PD at WKRC - a really good midday man the station had promoted beyond his competence. He asked me if I had any place for Al, because they were "going in a different direction" in Cincinnati. This was a really nice guy, but I had to let this joke play out. "Aw, Jerry, I'm sorry, but I don't," I told him. "Gee, if I had known this just two days ago... I already hired a guy for the last shift I had open. Jerry felt awful. I immediately called Al and told him to let 'KRC fire him. He did. Instead of working out two weeks of notification, Al walked away that day with something like a month's severance and went on my payroll the next week. He chuckled about that all the way to Buffalo.

thanks for hangin' with the Possum