Wednesday, August 16, 2023


 
Ray Edwards and I did mornings at WOKI during the 90s. That doesn't seem so long ago...but this picture is probably 30 years old and is in the main control room. And I had hair!!!! So maybe more than a day or two has passed...Johnny Pirkle, Bill Hays, and an unbelievable group of dedicated people made it a wonderful place to work with loads of memories. (Jerry Howell)
 

...serves as a reminder that the name “Charlie Fox” was NEVER my favorite air name ever. Only after Bruce Johnson at KAUM/Houston gave me the milquetoast moniker “Jeff Collins” did I vow never again to use a nom de aire. And on terrestrial radio, I never did. (I’m retired now and things like air names are only a subject of jest.) During my four years at XM Satellite Radio (first US satellite radio company to air, and the first and last to be purchased by competitor Sirius Satellite Radio) I used “Maxwell House” because a) I thought it was cute and b) I had no concept of brand names and lawsuits, which fortunately never happened, at least as far as I know. Yours, a faithful reader because I’m an absolute geek about radio. Blake Lawrence (nee Charlie Fox at 15Q, WKVQ Knoxville) Oakland, California.


--Now retired from terrestrial radio but founder and program director of a popular streaming channel known as Chilltrax, The World’s Chillout Channel™. How popular? I could supply some numbers that I don’t really know how to read, but they’re medium to medium-large respectable numbers. So I’m told. A “Chilltrax" plug on ktownradio.blogspot.com would make my century! Have a listen and decide for yourself if your readers might be interested.

Uncle Bob Bob (Bob Baron) came to WAAY radio in Huntsville, Alabama some time during the summer of 1975. He was PD there plus one or two other stations owned by the Johnsons who owned WAAY. The station, WKGN like in top 40 and a new logo “The Great American WAAY”.

I enjoyed working with Bob. He went on to become the weatherman at the sister TV station WAAY-TV. (Adrien Newton)


Page 3...

RIP- Traffic Sargent Wayne Bell, longtime traffic reporter heard over the WIVK airwaves! Thanks to Dan Bell for reaching out and passing on this info. Dan took over that duty, and these days it's Pete Michaels!