Monday, June 10, 2024

In a time far, far away, I was the overnight DJ for WKGN in Knoxville. It was my second job. I had just graduated high school and was getting a degree in electronics/technology (1960s technology) at a school in K-Town. I landed a job at WKGN when Joe Sullivan offered me the overnights. When I drove in, I was overwhelmed as I had just left my small town in southwestern Virginia with about 2000 people. Knoxville seemed so big, and the station sounded so much like WABC in New York that I was intimidated. The reverb, the WABC jingles, and some exceptional talent made WKGN a strong station.  The picture is of 19-year-old me in probably 1966, sometime in the wee hours of the morning. I learned so much during my two years at WKGN from Joe, Charlie Champion, Bob Baron, and Dr. Al Adams.  It was tough, forty hours a week on the air and another 20 hours in class, plus study time. I netted about $58 a week, but you could make it on that money in those days. I loved the RCA DX-77 mike, and those Clevite brush earphones sounded like tin cans. Bob Baron ended up in Montgomery, AL, and hired me as his morning guy in 1969; Bob left, got into TV weather, and now has a company named Baron Services. His weather-tracking system is probably the best anywhere. I never realized that fifty-five years later, I'd still be in Alabama, but now I operate an ad agency. I look at that picture and wonder where did that kid go; now I see an old man looking back at me in the mirror. Knoxville still holds a special place in my heart; my bride and I had our first home together in Knoxville.