Monday, March 03, 2008

Mike Clark...

I loved that story about WEZK from Dave Foulk. I too worked there (in the mid seventies) and he's right: it was perfect for a college student. It could get kind of spooky up there at night, and sometimes you shared the studio with all kinds of creepy crawlies. I remember one night I was doing some production. After sitting down, taking a sip of coffee, and reading over the copy, I reached over--without looking--to grab my headphones. Curled up on top of them was a baby snake. I'm not sure what kind it was; I didn't hang around long enough to see! I finally went back in with a big tape-reel box, and scooped him up and took him outside. One other kinda funny story: as you know, the station was "high atop Sharp's Ridge" with a very steep driveway. One snowy Saturday afternoon, I came into work (walking up the hill) and the woman who I was relieving was really worried about having to walk down the hill. I told her I didn't have any problems getting up the hill, but she wasn't quite so lucky. I watched out the window as she took several tentative steps past the flat area of the parking lot. When her foot hit the incline, she fell...and slid all the way down. Fortunately, she was not hurt. And, I remember seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger up there once. It was on Saturday afternoon, and I could hear sounds coming from the TV studio upstairs. Normally no one was there on Saturday, so I walked up to see what was going on. I saw the studio all lit up, with several people...including the largest human I've ever seen...standing around a weight bench and some weights. The large man turned around...and it was Arnold! This would have been when he was still competing, and he was huge. I asked one of the TV folks what he was doing in Knoxville, and they said he was taping a commercial. For what, I never found out, nor did I find out why he was doing it in Knoxville, but there he was.