Tuesday, June 23, 2009

101 opens our inbox today~

Hello, In the past I was in a live radio broadcast in the '70s. Ken McGavin was the radio announcer. May I ask, where is Mr. McGavin? Thank you!
Debbie Serio (Reed)...Now in California

Robert "T" Edwards was an engineer with WIVK, Sports-talk or News-talk 990 back in the days of Mike Keith's reign. He also worked for Horne Radio and ESPN in downtown Knoxville. I remember a story that I thought was funny. T was working at the Vols pre-game show with John Ward on the hill facing Neyland Stadium just about every Saturday. He told me to come meet him right before the game and we would go up and watch the game in the press box. I went and the crowd was a typical swarm of people. At that time I didn't know where they set up for the show so I was just standing, lost and confused, in a sea of orange people and then suddenly I heard my name called out, more like yelled out, thundering down from, what I thought at that time, heaven. The crowd silenced for a brief moment as people stopped for a second, I suppose many of them with my name? It was my buddy T. He had commandeered a microphone when he saw me and was calling my name from the platform and waving his arms in the the air to get my attention. Very few people in Knoxville Tennessee didn't know T Edwards or at least hear his name mentioned on the Vol Network from John Ward or Bob Kesling. T passed away last year at the young age of 44. He is missed. (D McCoig)

Hi -I was POA's second wife - I was with him during his stint with the Star Stations (Portland, Oregon, and "the historic court case"; Omaha; Indianapolis; Denver; and his debacle at WMAQ). In storage I have what I believe is at least one reel-to-reel air check of his. Are you interested? I'm not sure, but the same box may have other things related to that period of time. I would have to check. Anyway, let me know....Best regards, (Susan Kay)