Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Remembering POA~

"Sorry to hear about POA's passing. I worked with him for a while in the late 70's at WEZK. He was the News Director. I was very green, and he was patient. I did a newscast once with Moammar Khadafy's name in a story. I wrapped up the cast, basking in the glow of what I thought was a wonderful job...when the hot line rang. It was POA. He said something to the effect of "nice job...by the way, the correct pronunciation is Khada'fee" (with the emphasis on the second syllable). I had pronounced it like Khad' afye...with the emphasis on the first syllable, and totally blowing the last part of the name. He was very understanding, and explained rather in depth about the general pronunciation of various African names. I learned a lot from Paul. He was truly one of a kind." (Mike Clark)


"How great to hear those pipes again. I worked with Paul at WNOX and again when I was the PD at WKGN. I have to say it was always a pleasure to work with him, even when he was getting uppity! A memorable man that will be truly missed." (Jeff Hawkins aka Jeff Winters)

Also Frank Murphy has some great POA stuff on his blog including emails he received from Paul!