Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas from 101!

"I recently read the Dec. 12 column regarding the death of Bill Burkett. I remember him well because my father, Jerry Adams, General Manager of U102, spoke so highly of him. I am writing to add a small fact about the opening of U102 and the song "Amazing Grace" being the first song played. Dad always opened a new station with "Amazing Grace" at every radio station he managed. Dad passed away 24 years ago. Dad loved radio. He was bitten by the radio bug when he began as a young DJ in Mississippi. His career continued with Mr. Mooney beginning in Knoxville where was over programming, then on to manage WMAK in Nashville and later returning to Knoxville/Sevierville to manage U102. Due to ill health he tried to retire from broadcasting but later decided to return as an owner of a radio station in Jackson, TN.  Dad passed away a few years later. Mr. Mooney said "If there is radio in heaven, Jerry is showing God how to run it!" Dad always said "once it got in your blood you could not get away from it". My mother and sisters visited with Mr. Mooney this summer in Knoxville as my nephew was graduating from UT. I had not seen Mr. Mooney since I was a young girl riding on his boat to the Vols game. My Mom always kept in touch with him and knew he had returned to the states from Anguilla. It was such a delight to visit with him. He hadn't changed a bit...that same great smile and wonderful "radio" voice. I believe Dad was right...radio does get in your blood. Thank you for the wonderful site. It was a pleasure to read and reflect on good memories. Best regards!" (Cynthia Adams Wardell)