Thursday, August 08, 2013


101 heard from WOF member Your Dave Young on Wednesday..."It was on this date in 1978 that a little bitty frog made it's debut with Your Dave Young on WIVK. She was a special little thing, she could talk. All she could say was WIVICK WIVICK!"

This week back in 1978 Dave created the "wivick" drop ins between songs (we did not use jingles) at WIVK, this led to the frog mascot~ and the rest is history. 

In large part, thanks to Dave, I was hired to work weekends starting in the fall of '76...a dream come true for an 18 year old UT freshman! 

Growing up I dial twisted...remember dial twisting? From Ktown I listened to WAKY (wacky) in Louisville, WSB (wisby) in Atlanta, etc. I was always thinking about creative radio call letter catchy names. 

In no way am I saying I had anything to do with the frog, but enjoy my aircheck from 11/27/76...oh, that was Coach Bill Battle's last game as Vols coach. 

 Can you hear me croak? Congrats to YDY for creating the frog, 35 years and still hopping!