Monday, March 03, 2014

101 says hello to Gabe Hobbs...

I was the Operations Manager and Program Director for WMYU-FM (U-102) from 1985 to 1989.  That was the period when we upgraded the signal, built a new tower and moved the studios from Sevierville to West Knoxville in one of C.H. Butcher’s former bank buildings.  (We had fun with that doing “secret vault” type promotions.)  We also took the station from a so-so ratings performer to #2 in the market.

GREAT staff in those days with CP and Walker doing mornings, Larry Trotter was APD and midday host and Jeff Jarnigan did afternoon drive.  Eddie Beacon and many others did weekend shows as well.  One of the best times of my career was living and working in Knoxville.  The owners of U-102 sent me to Tampa when they bought stations here and I’ve been here ever since and even opened my own company nearly 5 years ago.

I have at least one, and maybe more, complete station composite airchecks if you would like to have them for your website.  I might even have a story or two about the Knoxville radio wars of the late 80’s which in those days primarily involved U-102, WIVK (although they won everything hands down), WIMZ and WOKI. 

Great website so please keep up the good work. All the best.


Page 3...

Birthday wishes this past weekend to Chip Emerson and Bob Thomas!