Saturday, August 11, 2018

Like many, I am saddened by Carson's passing. I first met him in 1978 when I was hired for weekends at WATO in Oak Ridge. Carson moved to WBIR-FM (when it was country) and later recommended me for a position there, which I was offered and accepted. Carson and I were the only two on-air personalities who survived the format change to album rock (station later became, and remains to this day, WIMZ.) We loved working together. I owe him a lot for teaching me about radio, and he was just such a funny and fantastic guy. It was great to see Carson at the WIMZ reunion in 2005, sadly the last time I saw him, although we shared e-mails on a regular basis. I took a 34-year break from radio, but have recently returned to the airwaves on Sundays (3-5 PM eastern time) at WCOM-FM in Carrboro NC, doing a "deep tracks" album rock and jazz program. My first show was last weekend and I thought of Carson often while on the air.


Larry Solomon