Saturday, February 09, 2019

...in his own words~

Chris Hampton was asked "if you had to do it all over again, what station would you pick?"


"That's a toughie! WKGN in Knoxville where I broke out of my hometown comfort zone and began to be one of those guys I used to look at and want to be. I really took charge and within a year and a half I got the promotion to Program Director at WBSR. Those were wonderful days as I took what I learned from really good PDs as well as what I had learned from some not so good PDs as well and melded that knowledge with what kind of PD I wanted to be. You weren't there in the 80's for the WOWW107 days. All three of those stations were milestones for me filled with great people and great times, but I would go with WOWW. It was a tremendous experience with great people and the best GM I ever worked with. I also, finally, found out that I could indeed be a morning man. It was part of the job as PD there, so I had no choice. Its like I said, it's a hard choice and there are other stations that are dear to me as well, starting with WMOC where I started in 1964. WDXB where I learned so much other than just being a jock. You had to do production, news, public appearances, anything and everything involved in programming. I was lucky to work for some great stations but WKGN, WBSR, and WOWW are my top three and WOWW gets the nod as the best period in my career. It was top shelf all the way!"


Chris's Career...

WMOC
WGOW
WDXB
WKGN
WBSR
WMAK
WJLQ
WCOA
WTKX
WOWW