Saturday, January 04, 2020

Hi George!

Cutting to the chase, I did morning drive on 99 WNOX "Proud Country" back in the early 80's. Fred Lee (news), Adina Chumley (traffic).

Jimmy Vineyard was PD and on the air, Eddie "insegrevious" Beacon on air too. Lively times back in the day.

I recently found some old Kodak color paper photographs (remember those?) of myself in the 99 WNOX remote van at an event.

What I remember most are the Saturday night "live" music broadcasts from the old auditorium on Whittle Springs Rd. Now, torn down, wow!

Also remember hanging out with country music singers-groups backstage and chatting before performances. And I am grateful for those moments.

Faron Young, JD Sumner and the Stamps Quartet, Sheb Wooley (who insisted I join him on 'Purple People Eater"...ha). Vern Gosdin, many others.

One particular female trio comes to mind. The McCarter Sisters, comprised of Jennifer, and the twins Lisa and Teresa. Hailed from around Sevierville.

Their mum and dad always invited me to "come and spend the weekend with us". Ha! Never did. Really nice folks.

At some point I was told to do morning drive at our new sister FM station, in I think Maryville. I politely declined and handed in my walking papers.

Remember packing up all my belongings (at that time) in a small paper bag and driving to the folks in the Detroit burbs in less than 10 hours.

Luckily within mere days I hooked up with a former broadcast group in Michigan and did a popular morning drive "oldies" show...until-

Moved to Traverse City, MI back in early '84 and have been there ever since. Left the biz in early '02 to pursue another "calling".

Cheers and thanks again for the memories!

Mark Staycer