Tuesday, June 09, 2020


I asked Possum Riley what was the DJ line up when he arrived at WKGN..


I arrived at WKGN in August of 1969 to take the 9a-12p show. Sonny Knight was doing mornings, Don Smith was on noon-3, Skip Broussard handled 3-6p in addition to being the PD. Eddie Beacon was the night jock and Steve Remmel did overnights. Sonny's younger brother- who went by Kevin Young- did weekends. Allen Pressley was the morning newsman.


When Broussard left for WMPS Memphis in early 1970, he recommended Ted Ferguson out of Baton Rouge to replace himself in PM drive. I became PD and hired Ted. Skip later went from WMPS to WKNR (Keener) in Detroit. When Don left, I hired Loren Owens out of Terre Haute to do mornings, moving Sonny to middays. We named Loren "Jefferson Kaye". A couple of years later I hired him out of WKGN to do mornings for me on WEBR in Buffalo. Loren went on to have a great career- WGAR in Cleveland, KIMN in Denver and then to Boston. He retired earlier this year from WROR-FM. Another hire I was proud of was Jim Dearman from WATE, who did news for WKGN and then went to Mooney's WMAK in Nashville as a newsman and foil for the morning jock. That may have been Russ Spooner.


That little station was an absolute powerhouse of talent!


thanks for hangin'


Possum


Page 3...

101 wants to hear from you, fact or fiction- send your stories to KtownRadio@gmail.com!