Monday, October 03, 2022

Jimmy Vineyard was an integral part of those incredibly high radio ratings for WIVK back in the 70s and 80s! 

I met Jimmy in 1976 when I joined as a weekend DJ, Jimmy was a midday host and handled production. Jimmy spent years at WIVK and also saw time at WNOX/WNKX when they played country. 

Fast forward to about 2009, I flew in to Panama City and knew that Jimmy was the GM of a cluster of stations up there. The then airport led straight past the station's building so I stopped in...neither of us had aged a minute, ha! Jimmy showed me around the stations, it was the midday so there were 5 empty control rooms, all voice tracked or syndicated, you would have never known by dial twisting in your heavy Chevy.  

The next year and for the next several years I teamed up with Jimmy and the legendary Eddie Beacon as we broadcast a weekly racing show on WNOX FM 100.3, Bumper2Bumper. And boy did we have fun.

Jimmy has some of the best pipes in the biz, as we dust off the 101 Audio Vault...