Monday, January 23, 2023

Watching daughter Courtney Lyle calling the Tennessee basketball game the other day, I thought of Paul Lyle and how proud he would be!  When I arrived at WIVK in the fall of 1976, Paul and Bob Kesling were the sports reporters/anchors there. In December Paul transferred to DBCs WKDA as Sports Director.
 
The 101 Reload features Paul from a post he wrote in July 2011 for 101...
 
WIVK Interstate News!

Mike Hammond was interested in upgrading our news department so he and I went to WSB in Atlanta and spent a day with a guy down there Gordon Van Mol I believe was the guy’s name. We were blown away by their operation and brought many ideas back to WIVK. One of the most noticeable is we named our news “Interstate News.” So it was then WIVK Interstate News. I’ll never forget Bill Williams grilling Mike on Why and are we now going to carry more stories from the interstate or outside the state of Tennessee. Mike was trying to explain it and was getting flustered as Bill kept pestering him with questions. I finally could stand it no more and just butted in (as I so often do so well) and said…Damnit Bill….We’re doing the same news…..we just call it WIVK Interstate News. It just makes it bigger. That was it. Mike and I were laughing for several days after that. I also remember we always signed off with More of East Tennessee’s No. 1 Morning Radio show is next…with Claude A. Tomlinson on Tuesday morning’s GREAT DAY. WIVIK WEATHER (here we played the meteorologist). (music rolling) 72 degrees in Knoxville…I’m Paul Lyle…WIVK Interstate News!!!!

Only about 150,000 people were listening!
VERY COOL!