Monday, July 01, 2024

Great story about doing overnights on WKGN in the mid-60s. Oddly, I got a feeler from 'KGN around 1965/66 when I was in Terre Haute. John Patton was one of Sully's jocks at the time and he wanted me to send a tape to the station. John and I had worked together. Vietnam was getting red hot, and I was in college at Indiana State, giving me a 2-S temporary retrieve from the army. I was afraid the timing wouldn't work, and I'd get drafted before I could get into UT if I made the move.

Even stranger was that impulse eventually got me to WKGN. By 1969, my 2-S had become Y-1 (women and children first) because of childhood polio. By that time, Joe Sullivan was the PD at WMAK, which Mooney Broadcasting had bought in Nashville. I had sent a tape a few years earlier and he remembered he liked it. He told me to send a new one to Skip Broussard, who was then programming 'KGN. Two weeks later, I was on the road to Ktown.

Thanks for hangin' with The Possum