Friday, September 06, 2024

Hey George, this is the longest of long shots - but I'll ask anyway.

I bring this up because you mentioned Art Metzler in your Ktown post this morning.

In 1958, the Oak Ridge football team played probably the biggest game in the history of Tennessee high school football. The game was in Oak Ridge and WATE TV televised the game on replay Saturday. Art was the play-by-play guy. Art was also in the first group of announcers at the newly formed WATO radio in Oak Ridge in 1947 (I think).  

The Oak Ridge football team was put into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 2022 - the first high school team in any sport in the history of Tennessee to get into the TNSHoF -- so quite an accomplishment.  

Now my question: Now it's been 66 years since that game, and nobody has ever found a copy of the game that was put on TV. It may not exist. Would I start by contacting WATE? I have sent some emails to them but have never gotten even a response. Would the station have a vault where they keep media from that long ago?

BTW, WATO requested the call letters WBOM (bomb) but was rejected. 

Earl Nall