Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Suitcase Simpson tells us about Fleetwood Gruver...

"Hi George! I joined the great WFLI, a 50,000 watt Top 40 mother in Chattanooga, when I was 18. The year was 1968. Stayed there a few years before I grew tired of 30 ARB shares, migrated, and eventually wound up in Knoxville - a second home of my childhood. I first met Fleetwood Gruver (pretty sure it's his real name) when his buddy Jimmy Byrd joined WFLI. Fleetwood came around WFLI with Jimmy and hung out some. Fleetwood and I were just shake-and-howdy partners, but I remember hearing his God-like but untrained voice on WNOX in later years. Fleetwood developed into a radio heavyweight and held some high positions in radio's major markets (including WQXI in Atlanta) and I think as GM at some Jefferson-Pilot stations. I know he was on the air in Orlando, Louisville, etc. Not sure where he is today, but he might well be in a radio management position somewhere. Unless he writes in to say otherwise, Fleetwood was from the Chattanooga area - probably a Rossville, GA boy like Jimmy Byrd. Rossville is Chattanooga, except for the official state line running down a slab of asphalt. Jimmy Byrd wound up in Kansas City radio for many years before his sudden death in the early 2000's. Jimmy did mid-days at WKGN for a brief stint around 1980 when I was PD in the after-glow days of the great WKGN. Who needs a rock n' roll air name when your real name is Fleetwood Gruver? " Your friend, Bill Miller (I Am Still Suitcase Simpson).

"Hey George, I Googled Fleetwood after sending you the last email. He's listed as PD at WHTQ in Orlando. Natural follow up for you, compadre." (Suitcase)

Page 3~

Happy Birthday wishes to Kerry Lambert! If you have a fun Kerry story, send our way!