Saturday, August 30, 2008

The staff and management (love that line) of 101 wishes each of you a fun and safe labor day weekend! Enjoy all the football!

When one reflects on Knoxville Radio History 101, Johnny Pirkle must be placed at or near the top of the list for his tremendous impact for decades...WNOX, W-149, WOKI, etc. Today we hear from Johnny~

To set the record straight, the shooting at WNOX was not into the control room window, but into the massive, 2-story windows in the front lobby. I was the PD at the time, and got a call from the overnight deejay, telling me that the giant sheet of glass had fallen into the lobby, acting like a guillotine, slicing the sofa in half.

He had no clue as to why the glass fell into the lobby, but I guessed, correctly as it turned out, that a bullet had caused it, and instructed him to stay out of the lobby, remain in the control room down the hall, and, if nature called, to duck and RUN to and from the restroom. I think that advice came a little too late, particularly when I shared my gunshot theory with him.

To confirm my suspicions, the bullet was actually found in the rubble, either that night or after daylight.

I think I know who Suitcase suspects, and since he admits to a friendship with the guy, I would say he is correct. As Confucius said, "A man who has only 2 friends stands out in a crowd."

To let the "jock/engineer" off the hook, no listeners were that mad at him. The suspected shooter had quit or been fired the day before, as I recall. I think I am still his only other friend, BTW.

Johnny Pirkle
WNOX 1964-71