Monday, September 08, 2008

101 kicks off a new week remembering WTNZ, here's contributor Chad Austin~



I realize that I am a bit late with this email. Yesterday (Saturday) I had realized that it was 20 years ago on September 6, 1988 that the short lived CHR/Rhythmic Radio Station, "95-3 WTNZ" went dark. It was a sad day for many, especially those who had put so much hard work in the station along with it's programming. I'm recalling this from memory, so I may be incorrect on some of the details. I'm sure some of the folks who worked there at the time can fill in the gaps. I believe it was on a Tuesday afternoon around 2:30 or 3:30pm that WTNZ-FM went dark that year. It was also during my Senior Year in High School. I had just gotten home and found the station off the air. I called my good friend the late Jeff Freeman who also the PD at the time to ask him what had happened. He told me that the sale of the station had fallen through, which left 95-3 WTNZ without a sound financial partner which forced the station off of the air unfortunately. A couple of months after the station had gone dark, there was some talk of possibly bringing it back on the air from 6am to 12am, with a skeleton crew, however it never came to pass unfortunately. Then 9 months later in May of 1989 it was sold to the Bible Broadcasting Network. I have also provided a picture of the old WNOX Building from over on Whittle Springs Road from back in early 1989 when 95-3 WTNZ's studios were still located inside of the building. They were off the air of course, however the studios were still there with the WTNZ calls located on the outside of the building.I will always remember 95-3 WTNZ with a tear in my eye. It was a fantastic radio station that went way before it's time. There are too many names to mention, and I cannot remember all of them, however I would like to thank all of those who were once a part of 95-3 WTNZ, who helped make the station great! Thanks for the memories everyone. I would also like to especially thank John Wilkerson and Kim Hansard for their friendship over the years. Last and not least, I would also like to remember my good friend, and mentor, the late "Screamin" Jeff Freeman who was the station's PD back in 1988. We miss you Jeff. I will always remember you with a smile on your face. As you would always say, "Thanks so much".