Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Happy Tuesday! Here's TSB...

What great memories! Scott Black trained me at WGAP when I was a young sprig of a girl - I had the honor of working with Jeff Caylor for several years – he’s one of the best dry humourists I’ve ever known. We lost a real talent when he went to the dark side and got a real job.

I was oh, so young when I started working at WGAP. I spent the first six months thinking that the chief engineer hated me. Harry Plumlee never cracked a smile when I said hello to him and refused to carry on a conversation with me. I found out later that he was practically deaf and couldn't hear me chattering at him. His hearing aids did wonders for our friendship.

I spent the summer of my 18th year working afternoons on WGAP and had more fun than should be allowed by law for a teen aged girl. I think management only got serious about hiring a full time jock for full time pay when they figured out that the cheap labor was going to have to go back to school in the fall. ED RUPP was hired to work the shift and did a great job before leaving to take up residence with WIVK. I stayed at WGAP for four years working weekends.

WGAP was a great radio station, a great training ground for a lot of us, and a tremendous asset to Maryville. It’s sad that local radio with live jocks is becoming a thing of the past.

Tonya Stoutt-Brown